Friday, May 21, 2010

Num nums

We admit the fact that in today's society, it's difficult to eat healthy. Between working, studying, and supporting a family, it's just easier to turn to fast food. Many foreigners like to attack me about McDonald's because I'm American (the connection and logic isn't quite clear to me, either). Okay, so McDonald's, Wendy's, White Castle, and Burger King are all fast food chains, but the concept isn't bound to their respective corporations. Fast food is merely food that is convenient and that serves its purpose in filling your stomach. While Americans have a bad reputation for being slaves to fast food, it's also a habit abroad.

What do street vendors do? They sell food. Fast. It's convenient. There are countless kiosks and stands where people can buy fast food here in Samara. I doubt that it's healthier compared to McDonald's.

This is not a post to encourage healthy eating nor am I trying to prevent you from eating fast food. Often times, these convenient delicacies are sinfully tasty and can be truly comforting.

Yesterday, I was walking down the street and passed one of the many fast food stands. I thought nothing of it, but after a few steps, I could smell the aroma of deep fried goodness. I took those few steps back and ordered something named nyam nyam (ням ням). The conditions were perfect for indulgence—the mouth-watering smell of grease, the cute little name, and my love for pocket foods.

Here stands the street vendor cart that entranced me with its delicious smell of grease.

I don't understand why I love pocket foods so much. I define 'pocket food' as a food with a filling that is relatively portable or convenient to prepare. To me, pocket foods are like presents that you unwrap as you eat (I'm pursuing a career in poetry, haven't you noticed?)

These are varenikis, which are basically like pelmeni but with a non-meat filling. I fried it because everything tastes better fried (especially guilt). In my pocket food list, I linked you to an older post where I explain these foods. Looking at this picture, I realize that these could also be Chinese dumplings.

Go out there and indulge (moderately)! Just remember to drink 20 gallons of water after to flush all the junk out of your body. It would probably be a good idea to do some sweat-breaking exercise, too.

Respect your food and it will respect you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.