Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

I'm quickly approaching my 8th month in Russia. In these eight months, I've gone through all four seasons: three weeks of fall, six months of winter, two and a half-ish weeks of spring, and summer.

I don't know what season I'm in right now...spring or summer. The transition period is so fast that the leaves all showed up on the trees overnight. Two weeks ago, it snowed. Just the other day, I got mosquito bites.

The problem?? It was like a bomb of pollen exploded. I can't be outside for more than ten minutes without sneezing my brains (and other matter) out. What's great (and bad) about non-US pharmacies? NO prescriptions needed!! Fortunately, I'm an extremely educated consumer in this field...so no worries. Going to the pharmacy skips the doctor as the middle man. I tell the 'pharmacist' my symptoms, and she gives me the 'best' available juice. Of course, I came home and googled my new candy. What was the best she had to offer me?? "A classical ("old" or first generation) antihistamine drug approved in some Eastern European countries."

Little by little, I can distinguish the differences between animals...horse/pony/mule/donkey, cow/goat/lamb, wolf/dog, boar/pig, moose/elk/deer, etc. It's not easy.

We had shashliki (Russian versions of shish kebabs...NOT BBQ) along the river. A plastic cup of cold not-so-great beer is refreshing in the heat.

Also interesting, the sun sets very quickly here. Last month, while the rest of Russia changed their time because of daylight savings, Samara didn't, so now we are in Moscow's time zone. It's STUPID. Now, the sun rises at 5am and goes down at 8ish. NO ONE is awake at 5am.

The water level in the volga is very high now. Take a look in the background, the basketball and football courts (EDIT- SOCCER COURTS...eww...foreign influence is disgusting) are under water.

In the distance, you can see a road sign underwater.


There are lots to do along the river embankment. Lots of people...lots of children.................................

Swimming in the Volga is a year-round activity. This guy (in the back) was warming up forever, I don't know if he ever dived in.

It's strange, but very convenient to have trees on the beach. It's easier than carrying a bulky umbrella to the shore.

1 comment:

  1. Football courts? Maybe you should start getting up at 5am so you can fully enjoy the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.