Thursday, June 3, 2010

Snow in June

This is nature's cruel joke on Russia. It's summer (I think) and getting pretty hot, but the grounds are covered in white.


It even looks like it's snowing with the dandelion fuzzies floating through the air. Fortunately for me, my allergy attacks have slowed down tremendously. Now, it's I'm battling carniverous mosquitoes that eat people through jeans (seriously).

I found the culprit. This is my nephew, Devin, successfully blowing dandelion fuzzies my way. Thank you, love.

There are different regulations here. Coming from the US, I am accustomed to all of our rules and standards. Here, I notice that there are no rules or that they're just a little more relaxed about it. Again, there's no wrong or right way--it's a different culture.

Back home, we have dandelions, but dandelions are weeds. We kill weeds. That's probably why there are fewer at home compared to in Samara. We probably have some public works regulation to kill weeds, since we have something for everything. In Russia, you can sell food on the street without a license. Meat isn't refrigerated, but lies there on a table stand outside in the open air (you can also find dried fish, fruits, vegetables, and sunflower seeds for sale). I doubt the department of health follows anyone around (but someone needs to call Upton Sinclair). Bicycle and motorcycle riders don't have to wear helmets, although the traffic and drivers are a bit crazy here. In cars, you don't have to wear a seatbelt, but you must appear to be wearing one. I mean, you can just lay a belt over your lap and they're satisfied. Roads are rough out here because of the harsh winters--that's understandable. Rather than fixing the roads, money is spent on painting new lines on curbs and on the road.

Okay. I accept the differences we have between our regulations, but Samara needs weed killers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.