Thursday, June 17, 2010

Remember me

Everybody has their own way of commemorating an event or person. If a certain someone chooses taxidermy over a traditional burial to remember her dog, so be it. If Russians want to keep their statues of Lenin in every city possible, it's their choice. We cannot judge. But we can silently giggle on the inside.

If you haven't noticed, I try not to post about famous landmarks and write about things you can find on Wikipedia. 1. It's boring. 2. The pictures you will find in a Google search will be of higher quality anyway.

The following pictures are landmarks, if you will.

Some people pay a high price for a place with a view of the sea, ocean, or river. For me, having a view of the rocket from my bedroom window is priceless. This rocket was launched, but it failed. Now, it stands in the center of the city for all to see and to wonder about the greatness (in all meanings of the word) of the cosmos.

This was taken back when I was visiting Rostov-Na-Dony. In Samara, we have a small airplane sitting in the middle of a traffic circle to symbolize something...great. In Rostov, they have a farm machine on a pedestal. The city is the production center of these farm machine things.

While we're on the subject of random things in Russia, this is not an uncommon sight in Samara. I was having sushi and saw this from my window. I'll accept this, too.

2 comments:

  1. Stuffing Wrinkles is absolutely not a laughing matter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooooooooooo.......i wasn't talking about you..

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.