Friday, April 30, 2010

Russian Bears

Russian people often ask me about what stereotypes I had about Russia before I came here. Most of them say, "You thought there were bears roaming the streets, right? And drunk people are everywhere drinking vodka?"

--Let me make this clear...none of us foreigners have ANY idea where the bear stereotype came from. We think it's a Russian stereotype created by Russian people themselves. I only recall one scene from War and Peace where some guy wrestled a bear, but I never thought it was a reflection of the country's society.

--There are more visible drunk people here than there are in any other place I've been.

I've had nothing but great cultural experiences in Russia (my experience with an organization isn't included in this statement). Unfortunately, there are a few stupid people who ruin the image of Russian culture.

Now that it's warmer here, more and more people are drinking outside on the streets. Most people are just having a good time and keep to themselves. Others are out to cause problems. My heart goes out to a friend who's been a victim to this drunken violence that was completely uncalled for. My heart goes out to his friend who was killed by the hands of these drunken brutes.

Russian people explained that the 'bear' stereotype symbolizes how uncivilized this country is. Before, I had no reason to think that Russians are uncivilized. Now, I see that these bears exist.
On the bright side, another friend stated that since the police don't really do much in terms of justice, Russia is basically a 'lawless society.' And for a 'lawless society,' there are only a few acts of inhumanity in comparison to all the good acts. It just goes to show that people are innately good.

I am American. I don't let the terrorists win.


EDIT May 18, 2010: I found this video on the New York Times. It's interesting and even shows Medvedev admitting that this 'lawlessness' is a fault of the Russian society. I hope I don't break any laws or risk jail time for this like the French teacher in Tehran.

3 comments:

  1. Good War & Peace recollection... I forgot about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Tammie.
    "War and Peace" is not right translation. In russian it sounds like "Voyna i Mir". But "Mir" has two sences: Peace and Society. Before October revolution in 1917 russian had other alphabet and the words "Mir and Mirъ" been different. So this novelle is "Voina i Mirъ" which means "War and Society".
    I don't remember exactly if you understand russian quite good (I have seen you just one time in bar. If you remember me: Michel Abramowitz, Andrew's israeli buddy) but if it is you can try to understand very hard russian text here about it: http://www.peace-and-world.narod.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Michael. "War and Peace" is the standard of how Tolstoy's novel is translated in English. However, it is clear to the reader that the novel is written about war and society. I remember every person who've I met, so if you give me a little more detail, maybe I'll remember you because now I honestly can't recall who you are. I've studied Russian and no, of course I'm not fluent, but I understand much more than you'd imagine. Thank you for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.