Wednesday, November 25, 2009

F-U, Flu

November 25, 2009

The swine flu epidemic was a popular topic in the news when I left the states. I can just imagine the crap the media is feeding America now that we should peak the “normal” flu season. Though I'm just starting my public health career, I'm already becoming jaded with all of the diseases that's out there to kill you. It's the circle of life, as a 6 year-old Mendocino boy taught me.
The point: 'Tis the season to wash your hands often, sneeze/cough into your sleeves (rather than your hands), and to stay far away from sick people. Relax about the swine flu hype. Everyday, people die from tuberculosis, starvation, racism, and well, AIDS. I've learned that the media are like terrorists—and we can't let the terrorists win.

I've seen supermarket attendants wearing surgical masks. Good for preventing tuberculosis. More effect to wear gloves, wash your hands often, and avoid touching your face.

The hot news right now is that Ukraine's swine flu epidemic is a big problem. Turns out it's just a political thing. Out of curiosity (and due to the geographical proximity), I looked up the statistics for swine flu in Russia. The numbers were strangely low. Almost abnormal. Naturally, I want to know if someone in Samara has it, and there are a few cases of swine flu. Schools are closing as a safety precaution, too. I think some research has found the efficacy inconclusive.

This is another cultural difference that I've noticed. Russians don't go to the doctor every time there is something tickling their throats. If anything, people will go to the pharmacies first. This was also the case in Argentina—go to the pharmacist, explain your symptoms, and they will give you a bunch of stuff to experiment with. It's like our pharmacies, but a lot more helpful; possibly nicer.

Some home remedies I have learned:

-Soak your feet in water with dry mustard. Sleep with dry mustard in your socks.
-Apply a warm compress on your sinuses to relieve congestion.
-Drop oil and onion juice into your nostrils to relieve congestion. It will hurt like hell.
-Drink hot wine or hot beer to relieve sore throat.
-Drink warm milk and honey to clear a cough.

3 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can show your appreciation for my blog with a nice, juicy steak. Thank you in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.