Sunday, November 8, 2009

My First Night with a Russian

October 30, 2009

I went with a couple of friends to a Russian man’s birthday party. When I say party, I really mean that it was sitting around a table that was full of cake and beer (mostly beer, or course). The people at this party were so warm, energetic, and drunk. They propagated the Russian stereotype. The forwardness of people, men and women alike, frightened me at first, but my friends (also foreigners) told me that here, it’s normal.

I arrived “late” to the party. Everyone was sufficiently drunk at this point (minus me, of course). I didn’t know anyone, but people were just so warm and accepting. Within a minute of sitting down, the birthday boy offered me a beer (I took tea). Within a minute of my tea arriving, another woman paired it with cake. As soon as my cake finished, she made sure I washed it down with a cocktail. So thoughtful!

Well, remember when I first arrived, I thought I’d be discriminated against? So far, the exact opposite has happened (with exception to a babushka or two). At this party, some man asked what my nationality was and continued to eloquently, but drunkenly, explain how much he loves women with Asian features. Then he turns to his Russian wife and tells her what he thinks of me, and she was completely normal about it. Later this evening, another man (much older, of course) comes to say goodbye to me, and takes my bare hands with his leather-gloved hands and professed his love for me because I am “exotic” and he is tired of typical Russian women. I’m not used to it being okay for a man (especially not older ones) to ogle or openly flirt with another woman in the presence of his partner…and the partner doesn’t get jealous. Of course I am uncomfortable with this, even though I know it’s harmless and very superficial. It’s just a cultural difference.

Thanks. In Argentina, I felt like meat. Here, at least I feel like soy meat.

1 comment:

  1. Oh... Strange Russians!
    You know I'm afraid to invite you to my Birthday party

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.