Thursday, October 29, 2009

“If you have sex, you will get AIDS, and DIE!”

October 17, 2009

I took a quote from Mean Girls--please don’t judge me.

It’s been a month since I’ve arrived and I am feeling very guilty because whenever someone asks me, “So, what are you doing here?” I can answer about my project because it is related to my profession (to-be). I still can’t give a reasonable answer about why I am in Samara. I feel even guiltier when Russians ask me and I don’t really know how to respond in any language.

Graph: http://www.journaids.org/index.php/factsheets/hivaids_overview/

A few weeks ago, I delivered my first training and it was beyond successful. I had my doubts because the other two trainers didn’t have much energy and we were going to a place that was previously unsuccessful. We were honestly dreading the 90 minute session. Long story short, it was PERFECT. We, 3 trainers and 15 students, sat in a small circle in a cozy, little room. The lecture was brief so the (semi-translated) conversations were long, honest, and fruitful. We did a run-through about the HIV virus, transmission, and other basic information. The behavior-modification section was well-received at this session because everyone was really engaged and energetic for our games. Later, I found out that people who were there were actually interested--it makes a huge difference and I’m very grateful.



As far as what’s going on with my project now, I am still waiting. It is a slow period because the volunteers from the other organization (AIESEC) finished their term. There is another volunteer, but she is out of the country for the month for conferences. I still can’t leave the country until I get a residential visa--oh, the irony. I’ve proposed a monitoring and evaluation program for this project in order to show that it is evidence-based and that the organization really is effective in prevention. I’m not sure how far past the “proposal” stage it will get. My point:

Evidence helps an organization win grants.
Grants = money.
Money = motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.