Friday, October 2, 2009

Cost of Living

Friday, Oct. 2, 2009

These are only ballpark figures in USD. Currency changes everyday and I just don’t care enough to be that accurate.

A produce stall at a tram stop. I am learning quickly how to measure things in grams and kilos--out of necessity, of course.

Lunch special at nice hotel: salad, entrée, and drink…………….$6
Public Transport (bus, tram, trolley, metro)………………………$0.30
Marchutka………………………………................................................$0.50
Block of cheese……………………………….........................................$1.40
Drinkable yogurt………………………………......................................$0.90
Crackers………………………………....................................................$0.90
Cereal………………………………........................................................$0.30
Frozen pizza……………………………….............................................$3.50
Umbrella………………………………...................................................$6.50
Half pound rice……………………………….........................................$1.00
4 hot dogs………………………………..................................................$0.90
Sliced processed cheese (like Kraft)……………………………..........$1.00
8 oz. (no refills) Beverage at restaurant…………………………...…$1.00
Toilet paper roll (scratchy only)……………………………................$0.90
Round trip Boat transport 2 hrs up the Volga River……………..$5.00
Cone of my favorite ice cream........................................................$0.75

And you have to pay for plastic bags (about 8 cents). And for sauce packets at fast food places, it’s about 50 cents each).
A mall is a mall is a mall. Same goes with mall food courts. Alia (Egypt) bought chicken from KFC. Delicious.

Cost of living is comparatively cheaper here, but people don’t buy in bulk as we do in the states. I go to the market (either supermarket or farmer’s market) many times per week for groceries. I do not live like a queen here because I can convert from US dollars, but part of that is because I am not making too much money hahaha.

Yummiest ice cream ever!! This is a the same tram stop as the market above. Better than the helado Catty and I got fat from in Mendoza. Looks and tastes homemade, too. If it isn't, then so be it. It's still really good.

2 comments:

  1. The food portions are smaller?! I guess I wont be going there anytime soon....seems cheap enough that I can buy 3 portions to fill me. Food there is proll better for my high cholesterol ass anyways....we miss ya! Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you should've taken advantage of when I was living in Mendoza.

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.