Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I shake my 'bon bon'


I found Argentine tango in Samara! Summary: I accidentally fell in love (typical) with Argentine tango while at GWU. I studied for 6 months in Mendoza, Argentina and continued to dance there. Tango and my decision to study in Argentina were completely unrelated when I applied to the study abroad program. I came home with a few pairs of tango shoes (see Facebook for additional pictures). When packing for Russia, it didn't even cross my mind that there would be a tango community here (there's one EVERYWHERE, no matter how small the city is...it's like Thai people). I went to one milonga (dance event) and was thrilled. Hardwood floors, perfect atmosphere, good dancers, etc. Snow boots or tango shoes alike- I just...wanna...dance.

This past weekend, I was invited to a salsa event. Of course, the "inviter" couldn't dance salsa but invited us out to a salsa party...he didn't major in logic either, you see. All in all, it was a fun night. And a lot of dancing. End of that story.

The point: I need to seek salsa communities rather than tango ones. Fewer creepy old men.

The problem: No shoes. And dancing in clunky boots is like going to a sauna in clothes. It's possible, but strange.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.