Friday, March 12, 2010

...Can't break me down...bury me, bury me!!

FIRST - Relax. I'm not getting married anytime soon.
SECOND - Don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is purely my opinion.

Ok, please proceed.

Yesterday, I went to an open-air market where they sell lots of clothes--including wedding dresses. Russian wedding dresses catch my eye. It's like a decorated Dominican cake in wearable form. Overly...decorated. It seems to me that people see elements that they like and then combine it all in one dress. It's not my cup of tea...or cognac...or brandy. And it definitely doesn't tickle my fancy...though the lace and tulle probably itches.



A wedding dress shop not too far from my old flat.


This is what I meant when I wrote that they combined every element into one dress.


Another example...


Wedding ceremonies vary by culture and country. In the US, people usually get married in a church and ask their sister to do a reading and cry her brains out in front of everyone. In Thailand, you get strings tied around your head, pray, then old people pour water on you. In Argentina, you ride down a crowded street naked in the trunk of a car for the bachelor/ette party. And Indian ceremonies are loooooong (but really fun).

In Russia, the age where people usually get married is pretty young. A flatmate once joked that you don't see anyone over the age of 25 because everyone is at home, married with children. And I don't think it's that far from the truth. Actually, I'm 23 and some people ask if I'm married. NOPE.

1. Find your lifelong partner (people usually fail with this step and continue on to the next).

2. Find your perfect wedding dress (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).


Step 3. Sign up at ЗАГС and get married officially. That's the Russian version of our city hall marriages. And they do it like a factory line. Saturday is an auspicious day, so it's super busy then.

Step 4. Parade around.

Step 5. Decorate your car (see at full view for the full effect).

And that, dear friends, family, and anonymous readers, is why I am eloping. But again, relax, it's not happening for years.


P.S. If you know where the post's title is from, you probably wear skinny jeans and eyeliner. Cool.

P.P.S If you understand why I chose the title, you probably lived with me for four years.

2 comments:

  1. P.S.- Yes, but not in the way you suggested.
    P.P.S.- Yes, oh the memories.

    And no, you're not eloping. It is not allowed. There.

    Phew, I'm glad I put an end to that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and, PPPS- I think that third dress would fit in nicely with your tango/salsa themed wedding.

    ReplyDelete

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.