Friday, September 18, 2009

The big question

You ask, "Tammie dearest, what are you doing in Russia?" I am in a study-volunteer position in Samara, Russia. I am helping prevent HIV/AIDS in Samara. My project is with Youth Theatre LIGHT. We do plays about HIV/AIDS and follow up with informational sessions. The play is in English (again, I am the only native English speaker) so people have to understand our gestures and intonations (unfortunately, no one knows how to act). These informational sessions are conversations with Russian students (in Russ-glish) not only encouraging them to use protection, but to enlighten them about the disease mechanism. I have very high hopes for the play and for the project--it has grown in the past few years and there is still a lot of potential for being effective.

Why is the play in English if our audience can't understand it? We are foreigners--we are unforgettable (honestly speaking). They may not remember everything in the informational session, but they will remember our message of HIV/AIDS prevention.

HIV/AIDS is very prevalent here in the Samara region. Russia in general has a high rate of the disease due to IV-drug usage, but sexual activity is also a large culprit. Most people don't know/want to get tested (same as in the US). When I went to the supermarket, I found that condoms are VERY expensive for the standard of living here. You tell me what some of the problems are.



HIV AND AIDS ESTIMATES
(adapted from http://www.unaids.org/en/CountryResponses/Countries/russian_federation.asp)

Note: There are about 142 million people living in Russia (Jan. 09). It is also one of the few countries with a declining population.

Number of people living with HIV: 940,000

Adults aged 15 to 49 prevalence rate: 1.1%

Adults aged 15 and up living with HIV: 940,000

Women aged 15 and up living with HIV: 240,000

Deaths due to AIDS: 35,000

Source: Epidemiological Fact Sheet on HIV and AIDS, 2008


I am not doing humanitarian work. I am learning about the problems and how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like getting messages. Especially encouraging ones.